Artificial Intelligence Research Scientist
Sanctuary’s mission is to create general purpose robots that can autonomously perform most economically valuable work. Members of the Sanctuary team founded D-Wave (created the quantum computing industry), Kindred (first use of reinforcement learning in a production robot) and the Creative Destruction Lab (created in excess of $5B in shareholder value). The team has experience launching market defining innovations rooted in deep, unsolved scientific problems. The company is based in Vancouver, Canada.
We seek Artificial Intelligence Research Scientists passionate about building upon the successes of modern AI to extend its reach to the original goals of human level intelligence capable of discerning perception, fine motor control, reasoning, planning, language, and broad generalization. The successful candidate will work with our artificial intelligence and robotics teams to design and prototype novel learning models and validate these on inhouse physical robots.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Together with senior Sanctuary AI leadership, design and prototype neural models to translate prior knowledge and sensor input from perception and action data to enable robust goal-directed behaviour
- Understand and advance current research and publish results in leading AI conferences
- Formulate novel algorithmic solutions and take these from concept to working and efficient code
- Direct ML engineers on experimental plans for data collection
- This is an advanced role requiring deep understanding of neural networks, probabilistic graphical models, Monte Carlo methods, reinforcement learning, and logic; much of the role will be on designing novel models that hybridize neural and symbolic cognition
- PhD in computer science, physics, or related discipline, and 5+ years of experience working on machine learning or a related field
- Established track record of publishing in leading conferences or journals
- Exceptional expertise with state-of-the-art neural models that include continuous and discrete variables
- High-level coding skills in Python and expertise with ML frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch
- You are highly competitive with a track record of success
- You are naturally optimistic and work well with both leadership and team members
- You are organized, learn quickly, attend to detail, and are excited by challenges
Founded in 2018 by Geordie Rose, Suzanne Gildert, Olivia Norton and Ajay Agrawal, Sanctuary is a Vancouver, Canada based mission driven company. Sanctuary’s mission is to create general purpose robots that can autonomously perform most economically valuable work.