Controller/Corporate Secretary (PHC Ventures)
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
Reporting to the CFO and VP, People and Health Informatics (“CFO”), the Controller and Corporate Secretary is responsible for managing Providence Health Care Ventures (Ventures) financial health and corporate governance. Provides leadership in accounting operations to ensure financial and accounting functions, systems, and reporting processes support the Ventures’ strategic development. Provides guidance and expertise to the CFO, Director, Corporate Development, members of PHC SLT, and to the Ventures Board on financial and investment issues and analysis as they relate to the strategic direction and operations of Ventures. This role is also responsible for managing and coordinating all aspects of the reporting and senior level administrative functions of the various Board and Society related initiatives and Committees, and provides confidential executive support to the Board and Society Chairs, and their Directors and Members.
Bachelor’s degree in business or other related field plus five (5) years’ recent related financial accounting experience in a start-up environment including developing and reviewing financial models, and two (2) years’ supporting senior executives and/or Board member(s), or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
A recognized professional accounting designation such as a CPA, is also required.
Skills And Abilities:
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Canadian finance, financial analysis methodologies, accounting concepts, principles and Generally Accepted Accounting principles (GAAP).
• General knowledge of current health care systems, issues and trends.
• Strong business acumen and demonstrated ability to identify and link business issues, financial results, and strategy to the overall goals and objectives of programs and initiatives and to identify collaborative opportunities that promote sustained income.
• Comprehensive process management and analytical skills including a demonstrated ability to develop and apply analytical methodologies and processes to support the operations of a start-up working in a complex environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including the ability to exercise considerable judgment, tact, confidentiality and discretion in preparing, disclosing, handling and communicating information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature.
• Demonstrated ability to prepare business case proposals and present recommendations to senior management levels.
• Strong understanding of contracts and contract language and other legal documents.
• Demonstrated expertise working with customers and clients, sharing knowledge and building strong professional relationships that inspire trust and confidence.
• Superior problem solving and evaluation skills with a demonstrated ability to organize, plan, prioritize, multi-task and problem-solve in a dynamic environment with changing priorities.
• Self-starter who will thrive in a small, energetic team environment including a demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision and with others as a member of a team.
• Solid supervisory skills with the ability to lead and inspire others.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and execute Board meetings.
• Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment including applicable software applications.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the job.