We’re hiring a Data Engineer to establish an efficient and automated process for large scale data analysis, model development, validation and implementation at Providence Health Care. Experience in dimensional modeling and developing advanced analytics algorithms is key for this role as is strong knowledge of current trends regarding data engineering and advanced analytics techniques.
Reporting to the Manager, Operations Research and Analytics, the Data Engineer develops and establishes scalable, efficient, automated processes for large scale data analyses, and model development, validation and implementation. The position collaborates closely with other members of the Operations Research and Analytics team to create and deploy automated data pre-processing and advanced analytics models through the innovative understanding and use of large data sets to improve clinical processes and patient outcomes, and support data-driven decision making. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in dimensional modeling, developing advanced analytics algorithms, optimizing processes with advanced analytics solutions, and excellent problem solving ability dealing with huge volumes of corporate and clinical data. The position will also stay apprised of current trends and research on all aspects of data engineering and advanced analytics techniques and works in collaboration with provincial and national colleagues.
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing with solid knowledge of various industry standards such as dimensional modeling, and star schemas etc.
- Demonstrated ability to build and optimize ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets and computing tools such as Spark, MySQL, Azure, AWS, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods and techniques involved in Advanced Analytics, data mining, statistics, and optimization (including neural networks, reinforcement learning, and adversarial learning).
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Java, etc)
- Demonstrated proficiency working with both relational (SQL) and non-relational databases (NoSQL).
- Demonstrated understanding of data privacy, security and related tools such as anonymization and encryption.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to clearly and fluently translate technical findings to non-technical partners and to communicate to multiple audiences using data storytelling and through graphics.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary environment and to develop recommendations using facilitation and consensus building.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and evaluation skills to discern and help solve the important problems facing health care, to identify new ways to leverage our data, and to direct efforts in the right direction.
A Masters’ Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or other quantitative degree is required plus at least five (5) years’ experience as a Data Engineer or related specialty (e.g., Software Developer, Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Scientist) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets. Experience with healthcare analytics is an asset.
1. Creates and maintains optimal data pipeline architecture. Builds analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
2. Builds the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and big data technologies. Re-designs infrastructure for greater scalability.
3. Assembles large, complex data sets that meet functional/non-functional business requirements. Creates data tools for the operations research and analytics team to assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
4. Identifies, designs, and implements internal process improvements including establishing standards for development processes and technical requirements; automating manual processes; optimizing data delivery, etc. Develops and ensures compliance for data management processes, policies and standards. Implements and enforces controls to maintain data availability and quality.
5. Recognizes and adopts best practices in data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation. Tunes application and query performance using profiling tools and SQL.
6. Researches innovative solutions, develops new concepts, and implements proof-of-concept prototypes by applying expertise in data engineering, advanced analytics, process modeling, and optimization tools and techniques.
7. Works in close collaboration with other members of the Data Analytics and Health Informatics teams to develop and implement innovative solutions that address pressing operational and clinical challenges within the organization.
8. Reviews clinical data at aggregate levels on a regular basis using analytical reporting tools to support the identification of risks and data patterns or trends. Creates analytical reports and presentations to facilitate review and adoption of data-driven choices. Collaborates with project/program teams to address data-related questions and to recommend potential solutions.
9. Works closely with clinical and management teams across PHC to strategize, develop, and implement advanced modelling projects that translate into improved quality of care, clinical outcomes, reduced costs, temporal efficiencies, and process improvements.
10. Works with stakeholders including the Executive, and Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
11. Keeps up-to-date with the latest technology trends and methods by staying abreast of state-of-the-art literature in the fields of advanced analytics, statistical modeling, statistical process control and mathematical optimization.
12. Perform other duties as required.
Employees of Providence Health Care receive an excellent and comprehensive health benefit package, as per their collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment.
*Other benefit packages may apply if this is an affiliate posting.