Data Engineer – Information Management
At ICBC, it’s our job to make sure the car insurance system works for all British Columbians, today and in the future. If you want to make the most of your skills and expertise while growing your career, we want you. A career at ICBC is an opportunity to be part of a talented, diverse and inclusive team that is driven to serve its customers and community. You can expect a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and a collaborative work environment. If you are reliable and dependable, contact us today to be part of our talented and diverse team as we work together to create an insurance system we can all be proud of.
We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers. If you are a job seeker with a disability, please let us know as adjustments can be made to help support you in delivering your best performance.
ICBC is committed to delivering consistently high quality customer service to all British Columbians. If you are reliable and dependable, we welcome you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
The Data Engineer on the Information Management team will focus on development of big data reporting and analytics solutions, working closely with stakeholders to meet their decision-support requirements.
This role will work with the Information Management team to support data analysis and equip the business to make data-driven decisions. We use Scala, Spark and SQL to perform “Data Preparation” and Tableau to create self-service dashboards. The team uses the latest in Big Data technologies such as StreamSets, Hadoop and Apache Spark in-memory framework.
As the Data Engineer, you will be responsible for:
• Conducting analysis for moderate data requests, defining data fields and determining data availability, developing information layout, format and interactivity. Presenting findings and providing clarification.
• Collaborating with customers across the organization
• Creating mapping documentation of data elements from source to target
• Developing & testing Data Transformation pipelines by leveraging the latest Big Data tools and technologies
• Provide subject matter expertise on data sources, reporting workflows, business process, and appropriate tools to analyze data
• Participate with corporate data user teams, develop data validation and test plans, performing user acceptance testing, and provide feedback to development and sustainment teams
To make an immediate contribution, the Data Engineer must bring the following:
• Experience coding in at least one of the following Object Oriented Programming languages: Scala, Java, Python or C++
• Experience with or exposure to Big Data platforms, ideally with exposure to Hadoop ecosystem (HDFS, Apache Hive, Apache Spark, Apache Drill, SparkSQL)
• Experience with processing structured and unstructured data
• Basic experience with SQL Queries & Relational Databases
• Strong data quality management process understanding, data analysis and data profiling
• Ability to apply critical thinking skills to troubleshoot and perform root cause analysis on technical problems and solution design
• Understanding of Agile Methodologies
• Experience with reporting and visualization tools, such as Business Objects or Tableau, user interface design, and iterative customer-driven design processes would be an asset.
Please note only those legally entitled to work in Canada at present will be considered for this position.
As announced by the Provincial government, all ICBC employees will be required to show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination.