Data Engineer - Senior
At ICBC, it’s our job to make sure the car insurance system works for all British Columbians, today and in the future. If you want to make the most of your skills and expertise while growing your career, we want you. A career at ICBC is an opportunity to be part of a talented, diverse and inclusive team that is driven to serve its customers and community. You can expect a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and a collaborative work environment. If you are reliable and dependable, contact us today to be part of our talented and diverse team as we work together to create an insurance system we can all be proud of.
We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers. If you are a job seeker with a disability, please let us know as adjustments can be made to help support you in delivering your best performance.
The Senior Data Engineer will join the Information Management team and focus on the development of big data reporting and analytics solutions, working closely with business partners and stakeholders to meet their decision-support requirements.
As the consolidation point for all business intelligence and business analytics functions across ICBC, the Information Management team's goal is to empower the organization to drive efficiencies and savings across all facets of the business. This is accomplished by providing internal and external customers with precision reporting, query and analysis, statistical, descriptive analysis, and performance measurement (dashboards, scorecards and indicators).
Accountabilities will include:
• Working in collaboration with customers across the organization (Claims, Insurance, Finance etc.) to plan, scope, execute and sustain data-based solutions
• Responding to internal and external ad hoc requests, review and clarify data requirements
• Providing subject matter expertise within the department and to clients on data sources, workflows, business process, and the appropriate tools with which to analyze their data
• Developing pipelines for data processing, data validation and optimizations
• Conducting analysis for moderate to complex requirements, defining the design patterns, presenting findings and providing clarification.
• Leading a team of Data Engineers.
To make an immediate contribution, the Senior Data Engineer will bring the following:
• Minimum 5+ years’ experience in software development preferably in data & analytics solutions
• Advanced skill in programming languages such as Scala or Java
• Working experience with Big Data platforms, ideally with exposure to Hadoop ecosystem (HDFS, Hive, SPARK, NoSQL,YARN)
• Strong SQL and analytical skills with experience in large datasets
• Hands-on experience with structured and unstructured data
• Demonstrated ability to work with large and complex datasets, while managing priorities and responding to time pressures
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to work with Managers & Business Stakeholders
• Detail-oriented with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple priorities and work effectively under pressure
• Strong understanding of data quality process, data analysis and data profiling
• Ability to apply critical thinking skills to troubleshoot and perform root cause analysis on technical problems and solution design
• Providing technical advice and guidance to staff in resolving complex data integration issues
• Experience with performance tuning and code optimization
• Design, develop and enforce best practices and standards around data quality and querying
• Ability to work effectively with a team or independently, as well as lead small teams as needed
• Understanding of Agile Methodologies
• Experience with DevOps and visualization tools, such as Tableau would be an asset.
Only candidates entitled to work in Canada at present will be considered for this opportunity.
As announced by the Provincial government, all ICBC employees will be required to show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination