Data Scientist Internship
- As a world-renowned leader in health care excellence and innovation, Providence Health Care (PHC) offers exciting careers and educational opportunities, but our strength is our people and unique culture
- We are partners with our patients, residents and families, and lead with compassion, innovation and social justice.
- We intentionally focus our care, teaching and research on six populations of emphasis – seniors, those suffering from HIV/AIDS, renal disease, cardio-pulmonary illnesses, mental illnesses, addictions and other complex urban conditions.
- Our clinical careers range from specialized addiction medicine to hemodialysis and palliative care to the emergency department and the OR. While our corporate roles in Human Resources, Finance, Communications, Health Informatics, and other areas support the people who support the people in our care.
We are currently looking for a qualified applicant to join our Digital Products team within PHC’s Health Informatics Department for a temporary, full-time, four month internship. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to be mentored and coached by our Data Scientists as well as provide support to the Digital Products team. Data Scientists analyze structured and unstructured data, models complex problems, and identifies opportunities for process and product optimization by using statistical, algorithmic, mining, and visual techniques.
- Transforms data into critical information and knowledge by working with clinical management and staff, project/program managers, and members of the health informatics team to develop and implement ML Models. Uses these advanced ML models to identify patterns, trends, and opportunities to make predictions or reduce workload that will have a significant impact across various clinical domains within PHC.
- Identifies, cleans, and integrates large sets of structured and unstructured datasets from disparate sources for use in ML models and products. Enhances data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building advanced ML models. Provides input to applications, databases, and systems used to assess study data quality.
- Uses advanced ML processes to convert data from non-functional forms, such as scanned image text, to functional forms ready for use in further ML models.
- Develops predictive and prescriptive analytic models in support of the organization’s clinical and business initiatives and priorities by applying advanced statistical and computational methods and innovative use of data, collaborating with and guiding Developers in the construction of analytic models, and maintaining detailed project status plans to achieve ML development cycle timelines and avoid development delays.
- Reviews clinical data at aggregate levels on a regular basis using analytical reporting tools to support the identification of risks and data patterns or trends. Creates analytical reports and presentations to facilitate review and adoption of data-driven choices. Collaborates with project/program teams to address data-related questions and to recommend potential solutions.
- Makes recommendations to management regarding strategic actions to maintain the ML development pipeline, analytic architectures, and life cycle, to avoid potential negative consequences and system failures, and to increase the positive impacts of ML systems.
- Works closely with clinical and management teams across PHC to strategize, develop, and implement artificial intelligence (AI) products that translate into improved quality of care, clinical outcomes, reduced costs, temporal efficiencies, and process improvements.
- Identifies, engages, and collaborates with specific stakeholders as required for the development of AI products designed around PHC’s strategic priorities and clinical/business problems. Assesses and implements improvements to AI products as needed and creates anomaly detection systems to track performance and data accuracy.
- Communicates analytic solutions to management and shares AI product status throughout the various stages of the product lifecycle.
- Supports management in the development of strategies for scaling successful projects across the organization based on feedback from clinical/business clients and end-users by maintaining project and other documentation, reviewing findings, and presenting analysis and actionable insights for further discussion and decision.
- Works to foster and develop a solid and sustainable machine learning foundation and competency for PHC. Assists management with the dissemination of successes and failures in an effort to increase analytics literacy and adoption across PHC.
- Keeps up-to-date with the latest technology trends and methods by staying abreast of state-of-the-art literature in the fields of operations research, statistical modeling, statistical process control and mathematical optimization.
- Performs other related duties as required
- Undergraduate degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative program.
- Experience working with large datasets and machine learning models including experience using statistical and data mining techniques, and distributed data/computing tools; writing computer code; querying databases; and using statistical computer languages.