Machine Learning Research Winter Internship
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI is an AI and Machine Learning Research Institute backed by Royal Bank of Canada. Comprised of top AI researchers and engineers and motivated by the pursuit of solving intelligence, Borealis AI is advancing machine learning science, while building leading products for financial services. With 40+ scientific publications in top-tier academic venues, the institute performs research in areas, such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, language processing, AI safety, and more. Borealis AI was founded in 2016 and has approximately 100 team-members across its four labs in Canada.
Borealis AI offers research internships across labs. Interns support research on a wide variety of theoretical and applied machine learning projects. Working in our labs will grant you unique access to massive structured and unstructured datasets with the tools and resources necessary to build game-changing statistical models. Being part of our team means you’ll have the opportunity to publish original research in peer-reviewed academic conferences, such as NeurIPS, ICLR, ICML, CVPR. And you’ll be working with some of the brightest minds in AI.
Internship opportunities are available in the following areas:
- Deep Learning
- Reinforcement Learning
- Graphs and Optimization
- Unsupervised and Semi-supervised Learning
- Bayesian Optimization
- Privacy and Fairness
- Interpretability and Explainability
- Time Series Forecasting
- Natural Language Processing
- Computer Vision
You’re our ideal candidate if you have:
- Ability to implement state-of-the-art machine learning techniques
- High motivation to solve challenging research problems
- Passion for data, algorithms, and statistics
- Experience working towards a PhD or already hold a MSc in Computer Science, Engineering or another mathematically related field (e.g., Physics, Math, Statistics, etc.)
- Previous publications at a top-tier AI conference
- Experience with writing modular, robust, scalable software in Python
- Familiarity with the Unix command line and bash scripting
- Proficiency with deep learning packages, such as Tensorflow, Keras, and PyTorch
- A deep understanding of machine learning algorithms and/or statistical modeling
Internship duration: 4 months (January – April. 2021).
Application deadline: August 14, 2020.
How to apply:
Please email your resume and GitHub portfolio (or equivalent) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also include the following information in your email:
1) Indicate two or more location-preferences from the following: a) Montreal b) Toronto c) Vancouver d) Open to any location there is a good fit Note: Indicating location-preferences, does not guarantee an offer for that particular location. Offers are based on fit.
2) Do you consider yourself to be an Aboriginal Person? a) I choose not to respond b) Yes c) No
3) Do you consider yourself to be a member of a visible minority? a) I choose not to respond b) Yes c) No
4) Do you consider yourself to be a personal with a Disability? a) I choose not to respond b) Yes c) No
5) Gender? a) I choose not to respond b) Male c) Female
6) Do you consider yourself to be a member of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender plus (LGBT+) community? a) I choose not to respond b) Yes c) No
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.