Operations Research Scientist/Data Scientist
Fujitsu has been consistently named as FORTUNE ‘World’s Most Admired Companies’ year after year, Fujitsu is a leading multinational Information and Communication Technology (ICT) company at the forefront of driving enterprise-scale digital transformation initiatives in organizations and communities around the world. Offering a full range of technology products, solutions and services, Fujitsu’s commitment to R&D continues to deliver cutting-edge technologies, particularly in the fields of artificial intelligence, optimization, operations research, IoT, blockchain, and supercomputing. Combined with its core offerings in IT infrastructure and cloud transformation, this has enabled Fujitsu to develop vast international business operations employing over 130,000 people in 100 countries worldwide in all business sectors at the heart of the global economy. Additionally, Fujitsu’s strong orientation towards the environment, sustainability, and social/societal impact has ensured it continues to be named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World (DJSI World), the world’s leading Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) index, year after year.
Fujitsu Intelligence Technology
Fujitsu Intelligence Technology Limited (FITL) is an emerging center of excellence and innovation hub within Fujitsu’s global operations for data science, artificial intelligence, optimization, quantum-inspired computing, and digital transformation. Located in Vancouver, Canada, and operating as a gateway to Fujitsu’s profound global engineering and innovation ecosystem, FITL is positioned as a digital transformation catalyst, working to grow Fujitsu’s AI and Digital Annealer business solutions both in North America and globally to support Fujitsu’s mission of making the world more sustainable through building trust in society with innovative solutions.
Fujitsu Intelligence Technology is comprised of a diverse team of data scientists, operations research scientists, software engineers along with a strong management support group committed to help businesses navigate and adapt to the digital world. We are committed to developing the talent of our resources through mentoring, collaboration, and education with internal or external stakeholders to shape them to become leaders in the digital transformation ecosystem. We value transparency and fairness in everything we do and look for people that are able to adapt quickly, stay ambitious, and be passionate about new technology.
We are looking for an Operations Research Scientist that would be working closely with the team in our Vancouver, BC office. Please note that remote work is an available option for this role.
We're looking for an experienced Operations Research Scientist to join Fujitsu's AI and optimization team to help solve real-world challenges facing society and businesses across different industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, pharmaceutical, oil and gas, and financial services.
As an Operations Research Scientist, you are passionate about solving problems that make a difference to people, business, and society. You will play a crucial role in identifying and developing innovative advanced analytics solutions & services to support business outcomes. In this position, you will be working in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment to solve customer problems through data, using best-of-breed open source and proprietary AI and Operations Research technologies such as Fujitsu’s Next Generation Quantum Inspired Digital Annealer, a dedicated architecture for solving complex combinatorial optimization problems.
A successful candidate will perform the following:
- Collaborate with our clients and internal stakeholders to understand business processes, identify opportunities, and propose approaches to challenges in a consultative manner
- Design, develop and lead the implementation of cloud or onpremises analytics solutions
- Acquire, explore, analyze, visualize, cleanse, and transform large sets of data from various external or internal sources
- Select and apply appropriate algorithms, methods, and tools
- Create scalable data pipelines and machine learning systems
- Clearly and objectively communicate progress, results and insights to clients
- Investigate, define, select, and promote the use of processes, tools, frameworks, and best practices
- Share ideas and expertise with colleagues in a collaborative team environment
- Master’s or PhD Degree in a quantitative field such as Operations Research, Data Science, Computer Science, Quantitative Finance, Math, Physics or a related Engineering degree
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in building models and developing algorithms for optimization, machine learning, statistics, mathematical programming, and simulation in industry and/or academia.
- Minimum five (5) years of work experience in managing and analyzing largescale structured and unstructured data using a data and analytics programming language, preferably Python
- Expert skills in Operations Research such as linear programming, metaheuristics, heuristics, quadratic programming
- Experience with analytics, and optimization frameworks and packages such as Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, Gurobi, CPLEX, Xpress, Simulated Annealing
- Proven ability to communicate complex concepts and insights verbally and in writing to colleagues and clients with varying degrees of technical knowledge
- Proven ability to efficiently work in a team
- Excellent analytical and problemsolving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to articulate complex technical concepts to nontechnical stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively in highpressure situations
- Ability to lead and deliver project against tight timelines
- Organized, articulate, team player, open to collaborative workstyles and able to manage multiple deliverables for different projects at any given time
- Familiarity and willingness to work in crosscultural and geo-diverse teams
- Experience in designing and building production analytics solutions
- Experience in Data Science using machine learning frameworks and packages such as Scikitlearn, Keras, PyTorch, TensorFlow
- Consulting or experience in a clientfacing role
- Experience with discrete event simulation
- Experience with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark
- Experience with visualization platforms such as Tableau and PowerBI
- Experience with relational databases, SQL and data modeling