R&D Engineer (Data Science & Machine Learning)
Join our team of data scientists who are tackling the biggest problems in our global food systems and are pioneering disruptive innovations using AI and machine learning.
You are looking for career growth and want to pioneer new technologies that will have a positive impact on the world. You love fast-paced environments, collaboration, are self-motivated and think outside the box.
At ThisFish, we are passionate about building a data-driven future for sustainable seafood. Our mission is to improve profitability and sustainability in the seafood industry through data digitization, traceability and innovation. We are committed to helping bring this ancient industry into the Digital Age to ensure it will continue to feed generations to come.
About the Opportunity
ThisFish Inc. has developed Tally software for seafood factories that digitizes their production, quality control and traceability data in real-time on the factory floor using tablets and IoT devices. We have developed AI-enabled apps -- called Tallybots – for process automation and predictive analytics. As a R&D engineer, you’ll mine the data for patterns and valuable insights that could solve practical day-to-day challenges in seafood processing, food safety and traceability. You’ll be helping to pioneer the adoption of AI in the global seafood sector. The world is your oyster.
- You will work across a wide variety of challenges in the global seafood industry that can be solved using data science and ML, from regression to CNN-based models. You must be a generalist who can quickly assess state-of-art methods for solving different problems and deliver those solutions in a timely manner.
- Data visualization is critical since we are in constant communication with both internal and external stakeholders about our findings. You will need the ability to convey complex statistical patterns through easy to understand visualizations
- A strong software engineering background is necessary, since the data science team is responsible for the entire data product pipeline from ETL to productionizing and maintaining the models on our cloud infrastructure on GCP.
- We work remotely in a globally distributed, multicultural team and you’ll contribute to company strategy, culture and product roadmap.
Compensation & Benefits
- Flexible Work Environment. We offer the opportunity to work from home with flexible hours. If you are self-motivated and goal oriented, then you’ll love the autonomy of our work culture.
- See the World: With customers literally all over the world, there’ll be plenty of opportunities for global business travel in post-pandemic times.
- Learning and Mentorship: Self-improvement, mentorship and career growth are core to our values. We are a growing company and you’ll be able to grow your career with us.
- Competitive Benefits Package: We offer employees stock options, competitive vacation and extended medical benefits.
- Salary: $85k - $120k depending on experience.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills
2-4 years of experience with the following:
- Software development using Python
- Statistical data analysis
- Python libraries for ML/Data Science like Scikit-Learn, Tensorflow/Keras
- Building statistical and machine learning models
- Data munging using SQL (and the like) and Pandas
- Data visualization using tools similar to Seaborn, Matplotlib and Plotly
- Deploying machine learning models to production
Our values are ROCC solid. You must have core competencies related to Respect, Ownership, Curiosity and Collaboration.
- Respect: You contribute to a happy, productive workplace; you appreciate (and share) diverse and even dissenting opinions; and you can build trusting relationships.
- Ownership: You take initiative, are self-motivated and strive for excellence in everything you do.
- Curiosity: You have the courage to ask questions, think outside the box and build disruptive innovations.
- Collaboration: You help build a common purpose, foster an inclusive culture and put the team first.
As a R&D engineer, you’ll be expected to excel at these competencies:
- Communication: You can clearly and confidently communicate complex issues and translate data science to domain experts and stakeholders.
- Results Driven: You can focus your research on practical and timely results that lead directly to commercial outcomes.
- Organization: You are highly organized with traceable research results and strong documentation.
Working at ThisFish Inc.
We are passionate about building data-driven solutions to some of the hairiest problems in our global food system. At the heart of our cutting-edge innovations is a diverse, cross-functional team. We hire individuals who are driven to excel and think outside the box. Our brilliant, caring and creative people have made us into an award-winning company.
We are a globally distributed, multicultural team originally from nine different countries (and counting!). We believe a diversity of cultures and experiences makes us stronger and generates more inclusive and lasting solutions. We promote employment equity and welcome all candidates regardless of culture, race, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic class, physical ability or other status. Join our team to explore the world.
What to Expect
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Here’s what to expect in our hiring process:
- 30-minute introductory interview
- Testing (1 to 8 hours depending on role)
- 2 – 3 follow-up interviews with team members and senior managers
- Employment offer