Senior Analytics Developer – Data Science
Do you enjoy turning raw data into actionable insights? Or even better, do you want to support machine learning and business teams to automate and optimize processes directly? If yes, come lead Best Buy Canada’s digital transformation at our Analytics Center of Excellence.
At Best Buy Canada, we believe empowered people and teams make smarter, faster, and more creative decisions. Our team is specifically tasked to transform data into value: Drive action and even automate processes to grow our business. We follow the agile workflow and deliver value in 2 week sprints, so we see results and iterate quickly. You’ll create fast, learn fast, and develop fast. Oh, and sometimes you’ll fail fast too. That’s ok. (Honestly.) It’s all part of innovation.
You’ll work side by side with other Data Analysts, Data Scientists, and E-commerce, Logistics and Technology Leadership as one team. Every big or small project will be seen by thousands of Canadian customers in the blink of an eye. Every small change will lead to a BIG impact.
As an Senior Data Analyst/Engineer, you’ll be responsible to build and evolve the backbone of our reporting, automation and optimization initiatives. Ultimately, you’ll make it easier and faster for analytics teams to unlock the value of big data and help Best Buy scale efficiently:
- Enable Machine Learning automation and optimization by building scalable data models and ETL pipelines from our data warehouse and data lake.
- Deploy analytics products into production by taking an agile approach, starting from problem exploration, POC testing, and scaling.
- Unlock the value of big data by designing schemas and cloud-based workflows in R and Python with our data engineering teams.
- Create and enforce software engineering best practices to analytics code through version control, testing, and CI/CD.
- Support recommendations on business operations and product roadmap by leading opportunity analyses, problem research, and metrics design.
- Design and build experiments to measure impact of technology and operational changes that impact millions of customers
- Educate and evangelize the value of analytics engineering in data science and analytics
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Grit. You’ll need great self-motivation and perseverance as we migrate our data infrastructure to the cloud, create new ETLs to support data science projects that impact millions of dollars in revenue, and establish working processes that are both secure and agile.
- Ability to think critically and deliver quickly in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Flexibility to work in multiple areas like ETLs, Data modeling & design, writing sophisticated SQL queries, PowerBI dashboarding, etc.
- Experience with end-user accessible modeling (e,g, DBT, LookML), and data Warehouse technologies (Snowflake, Redshift, Azure Datawarehouse, etc.)
- Advanced proficiency with SQL and Python
- Openness to receive and give feedback
- 1+ year(s) experience working in an Agile environment; familiarity with JIRA, Confluence
- Deployed data science and machine learning projects into production
- Experience working with on-premise and cloud data environments
Type of Environment You’ll be Working In…
- Lead by intent at any stage in your career. Every analyst carries the freedom/responsibility to bring innovative ideas/recommendations that challenge the status-quo. Opportunities include working with Product Owners, Directors and VPs the on a regular basis in all levels of seniority.
- Develop domain expertise through embedded culture. Your cross-functional team will trust you as the Analytics Expert while you get to develop your knowledge in a specific business function.
- Grow your analytics toolkit within the Analyst Community. Best Buy has one of the largest analytics team in Vancouver. Embedded analysts come together weekly to share learnings, establish best practices/methodologies/frameworks, innovate through monthly hackathons and take courses together.
- Work with mentors and career coaches to achieve your goals. We believe an amazing work-life harmony includes continual learning and growth… on company time. That’s why everyone in our eCommerce and IT departments has their own coach or mentor
There’s more, too…
- Competitive benefits, including a variety of options for extended health, dental, and life insurance
- Registered Pension Plan where the company matches your contributions, dollar for dollar
- Employee stock purchase plan, with the company matching up to 5% of your eligible contributions
- Significant employee discounts both in-store and online
- Opportunity to participate in regular hackathons and other company-wide events.