Software Engineer Intern
Join our award-winning team of data scientists and engineers who are tackling the biggest problems in our global food systems and are pioneering disruptive innovations using AI and machine learning.
You are looking for career growth and want to pioneer new technologies that will have a positive impact on the world. You love fast-paced environments, collaboration, are self-motivated and think outside the box.
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30, inclusive, at the start of the internship
- Be a post-secondary graduate,
- Not be in receipt of EI during the course of the work placement,
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada as a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status,
- Reside, physically work in BC, or have plans to return to BC,
- Not have completed a DS4Y work placement in their lifetime, and
- Self-assess as underemployed, meaning employed below their level of education and/or hold part-time employment, or are unemployed
At ThisFish, we are passionate about building a data-driven future for sustainable seafood. Our mission is to improve profitability and sustainability in the seafood industry through digitization, traceability and innovation. We are committed to helping bring this ancient industry into the Digital Age to ensure it will continue to feed generations to come.
About The Opportunity
ThisFish Inc. is seeking a 6-month software developer intern to join our team. ThisFish Inc. has developed Tally software for seafood factories that digitizes their production, quality control and traceability data in real-time on the factory floor using tablets and IoT devices.
Our highly configurable software maps to the existing processes of the factory in both linear and dynamic ways. We are looking to develop an automated solution to help map the flow of data in our software, to help staff and customers alike to visualize their data.
This innovative feature would automatically generate complex diagrams demonstrating the flow and connectivity of data through a fish processing plant.
Working with our Product Lead and other engineers, you’ll be required to carry out the following duties:
- Work with our custom JSON configuration tools to fully understand the range of possible data flows
- Extract data from a Postgres database
- Research and compare visualization libraries to embed
- Build a MVP of the automated graph
- Work with our engineers to fully test the prototype
- Embed the tool into our main product offering
Compensation & Benefits
- Flexible Work Environment. We offer the opportunity to work from home with flexible hours. If you are self-motivated and goal oriented, then you’ll love the autonomy of our work culture.
- Learning and Mentorship: Self-improvement, mentorship and career growth are core to our values. We are a growing company and you’ll be able to grow your career with us.
- Salary: $4,000 per month
- Duration: 6 month internship with possibility for permanent employment
Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrable skills in any of the major BI tools like Tableau, Domo or Power BI
- Experience with databases and SQL
- Experience with data analysis
- Respect: You contribute to a happy, productive workplace; you appreciate (and share) diverse and even dissenting opinions; and you can build trusting relationships.
- Ownership: You take initiative, are self-motivated and strive for excellence in everything you do.
- Curiosity: You have the courage to ask questions, think outside the box and build disruptive innovations.
- Collaboration: You help build a common purpose, foster an inclusive culture and put the team first.
We are a globally distributed, multicultural team originally from nine different countries (and counting!). We believe a diversity of cultures and experiences makes us stronger and generates more inclusive and lasting solutions.
We promote employment equity and welcome all candidates regardless of culture, race, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic class, physical ability or other status. Join our team to explore the world.
Contract length: 6 months