System Safety Engineer
Exciting new technologies such as autonomous vehicles and intelligent robotics in space and medical devices predict an exciting future! Underlying these new technologies is increasingly complicated and connected software, often involving AI and machine learning. How can innovators be sure their technology works only as intended?
Critical Systems Labs Inc. (CSL) works to find problems before the technology is launched and can cause harm. We are a collaborative team of bright and creative people, internationally recognized for our expertise in the management of safety risk and security vulnerabilities associated with complex software intensive systems. We work on technically advanced projects in aerospace, automotive, energy, defense, marine navigation, medical technologies and rail signaling.
CSL has several positions open for System Safety Engineers. In this role you will have the opportunity to apply system safety engineering processes to innovative, leading-edge technologies in multiple domains. The ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and stakeholders is essential in this role. This is a full-time position.
• Specification and analysis of system requirements, including safety requirements
• Use of Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis at both functional and design levels
• Development and review of safety cases
• Application of functional safety standards and other related guidance
• Interaction with client engineering teams
Qualifications you bring to this job
• University degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience; graduate degree preferred
• At least 3 years experience in safety / reliability engineering, ideally in real-time embedded software systems in regulated environments (e.g., automotive, aerospace, energy, rail, marine and/or medical devices)
• Experience with the management and analysis of safety requirements
• Experience with C/C++, Python and/or Java
Bonus points for additional experience/expertise in any of the following areas
• Knowledge of industry standards such as ISO 26262, ISO/PAS 21448/SOTIF, IEC 61508, DO-178C, MIL-882E, CENELEC EN 50126/50128/50129
• Assurance (safety and security) argumentation techniques
• Experience with machine learning and statistical methods
Skills and attributes
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to produce high quality technical documentation, proposals and reports
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines
• Genuine interest in learning new engineering processes and principles in multiple technical domains
Must be located in Canada and currently legally able to work in Canada.
What CSL offers
CSL has a very positive work culture. We value diversity, inclusion and collaboration, and we are proud to offer a competitive salary, generous benefits package and paid vacation. We are currently working remotely but we also have an accessible office located in Waterfront Station, the central transit hub in downtown Vancouver. Secured indoor bike parking is available at our office.
Think you would be perfect for this position?
If you are interested in a career with CSL working with great colleagues solving challenging problems, we look forward to hearing from you! Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Application - System Safety Engineer” in the subject line.
CSL will review all applications and we greatly appreciate the interest of everyone who applies for this position, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.