Systems Engineer (cryogenics)
D-Wave’s systems are multi-disciplinary in nature, spanning physics, mechanical engineering, cryogenics engineering, low noise analog and high frequency mixed signal electronics, software engineering, and superconducting circuit design. The company's flagship product, the D-Wave Advantage processor, is built around a novel superconducting quantum processor designed to exploit quantum resources known to offer large computational speedups on some problems. Our systems are currently being used by customers such as Lockheed Martin and Los Alamos National Laboratory.
The Systems Engineer (cryogenics) role:
D-Wave is seeking a highly motivated, experienced Systems Engineer (cryogenics) to help customers tackle new problems as we continue to push our technology forward. In this role, you’ll be joining the Support team full of smart, passionate engineers who care about going above and beyond to help people use our quantum computers. As a Systems Engineer (cryogenics), you'll be using your problem-solving and communication skills to work on a wide range of tasks. From troubleshooting hardware to partnering with our internal science team, you will be helping to improve our systems and solve customer issues. The position is based in Burnaby, BC with early customers in the US, Europe, and Japan.
This is not a role with a how-to handbook, but you’ll have the support and knowledge of the whole company at your back.
- Hands-on work and troubleshooting
- Working closely with the hardware team to support internal development activities
- Triaging, troubleshooting, escalating, and/or providing resolution to customer support requests
- Contributing to system improvements
- Identifying and working to solve the root of the problem
- Occasional travel to customer sites for installs, upgrades, and maintenance
- Doing everything possible to keep our customers happy
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or the equivalent education and experience
- 3-5 years of experience providing service and support for multi-disciplinary systems
- A good understanding of engineering and physics with strong multi-disciplinary technical skills
- Experience with cryogenic systems
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work well on varied tasks in a fast-paced team environment that is focused on priorities and end results
- Self-motivated, proactive, and flexible
- Exceptional hands-on abilities
- Passion for solving technical problems and providing the highest level of customer support
Desired Qualifications - Exceptional candidates will have experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience with complex electro-mechanical systems or precision mechanics
- Experience with high vacuum systems or dilution refrigerators
- An understanding of networking protocols, IT infrastructure, and Linux/UNIX computing systems
- Experience providing technical support
- Experience in technical product development
- Must be willing to work flexible hours during busy periods
- Willingness and ability to travel customer sites on occasion (~10%)
- After a training period, you will be asked to join one of our on-call teams
- Ability to obtain US work authorization
- Maintain conduct that will not jeopardize the ability to maintain required security clearance or to work on-site with highly secure and sensitive customers, which may include a background check
The health and safety of our candidates and employees are important to us. Due Covid-19 all of our candidates will be interviewed virtually and later onboarded into the office.
D-Wave is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial law.