Technical Software Support Engineer (Senior, Python)
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated people who love to see the impact of their work, who are driven to ensure the success of the company, and who want to be a part of something special. We are working to radically change what is possible with computers and are leading the effort to commercialize quantum computing. This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual that thrives on making an impact not only with those they support, but through the company they are a part of.
D-Wave is the leader in quantum computing systems, software, and services and is the world’s first commercial supplier of quantum computers. Our web service, LeapTM, is the only cloud service that delivers real-time access to a quantum computer (currently Advantage) and a full suite of open-source programming tools. Leap now has hybrid capabilities that combine the power of quantum and classical computers, analogous to the way a CPU works with a GPU, enabling the solution of very large problems. Software tools make programming easy, in languages like Python.
D-Wave’s customers have developed more than 200 early applications of our quantum system. With the combined capabilities of the next generation system, Advantage, and the recently introduced hybrid solvers, D-Wave’s customers will be able to deploy these capabilities to benefit their businesses.
The Software Support Engineer role:
D-Wave is seeking a proactive, passionate, and versatile professional to join our amazing Service & Support team and partner with our development teams to assist our global clientele as we continue to push our technology forward. You will be part of a team of smart and curious engineers and computer scientists who care about going above and beyond to help customers using our practical quantum computer.
In this role, you will be a go-to person for D-Wave’s customers and will have the unique opportunity to support the first generation of quantum developers by using your excellent problem solving and communication abilities to support them in their quantum application development through the Leap platform. You will work with the broader Service & Support team, as well as internal applications and science teams, to craft solutions while building your own corpus of knowledge. Resolving problems will continuously challenge you, but you’ll have the support and knowledge of the whole company by your side.
This is a unique opportunity for someone who is looking to grow into a leadership role and help us in developing new capabilities that will allow us to continue to deliver excellent customer service to our clientele.
With quantum computing on its way to becoming available to everyone, interest in the space is growing. In your cover letter please tell us what qualities a support team needs to have in order to best serve customers in this developing industry.
In this role you will:
- Develop a broad knowledge base of D-Wave’s software tools to work on customer issues that cover the spectrum from low-level research to applications
- Triage, troubleshoot, escalate, and resolve customer support requests by working closely with our internal development and science teams
- Identify, define, and document internal technical procedures
- Contribute to cross functional projects and help foster collaboration between the support team and the various technical teams we work with
- You may be asked to work flexible hours during busy periods
- After a training period, you will be asked to join one of our on-call teams
You will bring to this role:
- 5 years of professional experience in a technical role, a portion of which includes support or customer facing responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering, or relevant education combined with applicable work experience
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
- Strong organizational and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Awesome problem-solving skills
- Excellent Python programming skills, with experience debugging someone else’s code
- Proficiency and curiosity in at least one of: math, physics, engineering, or software development
Desired Qualifications - Exceptional candidates will have experience in one or more of the following:
- With Linux
- Leading a team of people
- Experience working in cloud products
The health and safety of our candidates and employees are important to us. Due Covid-19 all of our candidates will be interviewed virtually and later onboarded into the office.
D-Wave is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial law.